Kate Lovegrove

Below are a list of some legal terms relating to financial matters explained:

Financial Remedy/Ancillary Relief – financial and property issues

Statutory MIAM – a document signed by a mediator prior to making a financial application to court.

Counsel – a barrister – a person who represents you in court.

Periodical Payments – maintenance for a spouse or a child.

Term Order – maintenance for a specified period of time.

Lump sum – a cash sum.

Property Adjustment Order – a court order adjusting the shares of ownership of a property.

Clean break – a bar to any future financial claims between the parties.

Form E – a document setting out your financial circumstances.

Form A – an application to court that begins the process of making a financial claim.

Applicant – the person who issues the financial application.

Respondent – the person who receives the financial application.

FDA – First Directions Appointment at which the judge seeks to clarify what the issues are and direct what needs to be done before the FDR or final hearing.

FDR – Financial Dispute Resolution appointment at which the judge will encourage discussion and negotiation to see if an agreement can be reached.

Consent Order – a court order made with the agreement of the parties which resolves financial issues.

Without Prejudice – offer to settle whether in writing or verbal that cannot be referred to at a final hearing but can be referred to at an FDR.  Also known as having an “off the record” discussion.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me via my contact page. I offer a free initial telephone call. I offer appointments in Polhill, Sevenoaks and Kings Hill, Kent.